19 March 2009

Moon and kaikawaka

Moon, kaikawaka

On Shorts Track last Monday. Kaikawaka (Libocedrus bidwillii; mountain cedar) dominates the higher slopes of the Ngamoko Range and transitions into the leatherwood (Olearia colensoi; tupare) zone, which in turn grades into the snowgrass-dominated tops. Real Middle Earth trees — aged, weathered, gnarled; some so stunted they're only about my height (these were about as tall as they get; many times taller than me).


All content © 2009 Pete McGregor

6 comments:

Relatively Retiring said...

Wonderful!

thewebteam said...

Nice contrast between trees and moon. Stark. Cold. Wonderful. A reminder of those who live in orbit above us.

butuki said...

What an unusual image. Even though I've seen it so many times in real life, very rarely have I seen a photo of the moon out in the middle of the day. Many people I know don't even believe it when I tell them you can often see the moon during daylight.

This is a wonderful image in black and white. Maybe one of my favorites. One day I will have to see those trees. I really love krummholz and am trying to put together a photo series of them.

pohanginapete said...

RR, TWT, Miguel, thank you :^) (Miguel, plenty of elfin forest here in Aotearoa.)

christy lee-engel said...

Middle Earth trees indeed! as if any moment one of them will lean over and say something important in a slow and rustle-y voice.

Stunning light and shadow, and balance of the intricately full and roughly textured space and the pure simple smooth-moon-wispy-cloud space.

pohanginapete said...

Thanks Christy. Pleased you spotted the cloud; it's subtle, but in my view important.