17 June 2009

Banana passionfruit and green vegetable bug

Weeds & pestThe Pohangina valley (that's the Pohangina river in the background) isn't entirely idyllic. The plants most prominent in the foreground are banana passionfruit (that's the flower), blackberry and cleavers: all weeds, the first two seriously so. And that bug (yes, it's a true bug in the entomological sense) is Nezara viridula (green vegetable bug), a widespread horticultural pest. This is a photo from December 2005.
All content © 2009 Pete McGregor

4 comments:

Zhoen said...

Bugs in eden.

I had a toy fake flower assemblage craft thingy as a kid, that flower looks like one of those.

pohanginapete said...

I reckon it looks a bit like a triffid, too, Zhoen.

michael.offworld said...

I really need to visit NZ. I'll need a pile of memory cards.

pohanginapete said...

Michael, it'd be great to see you here. When I travelled in 2006–07 I carried an 80Gb Vosonic hard disk that could read memory cards directly. A great little device, and I'm sure the technology has developed even further: more capacity for less cost.