25 April 2012

I was here this morning [Ngamoko hut]


Yesterday I climbed Shorts Track, battled the gale southwards along the Ngamoko Range and descended the overgrown track to Ngamoko hut in the headwaters of the Pohangina Valley. I had the place to myself (and the rat) and after a relatively good night's sleep rose early. I made unsmoked Lapsang Souchong tea and drank it down by the river, hoping a whio might visit. No luck, but to drink excellent tea at dawn in a place like this must be one of the best of all ways to begin a day.


[25 April 2012, Panasonic Lumix GH1, 14–45 mm at 28 mm, ISO 100, 1/10 at f16]

All content © 2012 Pete McGregor

14 comments:

Relatively Retiring said...

I trust you had a quick power-shower under that waterfall as well?
Actually, a cup of builder's tea in a warm bed, watching the sunrise through double-glazing makes a good start, too.

pohanginapete said...

RR, you must be kidding ;^) On the other hand, builder's tea in bed sounds good.

Ruahines said...

Kia Ora Pete,
love that early morning Ruahine light. Ataahua. Sitting by a mountain river with a cup of tea with the real possibility a Whio may pop in. A definition of time I very much like. te hei Mauri Ora.
Robb

pohanginapete said...

I knew you'd appreciate this, Robb. :^)

Tim Koppenhaver said...

Pete, that last sentence is spectacularly written. What a great line.

Take care.

Tim

pohanginapete said...

Tim, thank you :^)

Leonie said...

Yup, hard to top that in terms of places to wake up!

pohanginapete said...

Leonie, I'm so lucky to have places like this so handy.

Barbara Butler McCoy said...

Every time I look at this photo I get so lost I don't know what to say, which, of course, says it all!

pohanginapete said...

Barbara, I greatly enjoyed Rebecca Solnit's wonderful book, A Field Guide to Getting Lost, so your comment's quite a compliment. Thanks! :^)

michael.offworld said...

me too!

pohanginapete said...

Thanks Michael :^)

Anonymous said...

Easy for me to imagine you enjoying that perfect morning with a cup of tea. Cheers. Maureen

pohanginapete said...

Every morning's a tea morning, Maureen, but this was special :^)