06 November 2012

Rio Torre & Nothofagus; PN Los Glaciares


The Rio Torre debouches from the terminal lake of the Torre glacier, which, not surprisingly, flows beneath Cerro Torre. I set up camp, then wandered up the river hoping I might see a torrent duck. No luck, but the next evening back in El Chalten, I saw a pair with chicks just 15 minutes or so upstream from the bridge.

The gnarly little shrub is one of the species of southern beech (Nothofagus), but I'm not sure which. New Zealand also has several Nothofagus species, and the forest here was similar enough to make me think of the place to which I'd return in just over a month, but different enough to remind I was in a different country.


[11 November 2011, Panasonic Lumix GH1, 100–300 mm at 234 mm, ISO 100, 1/10 at f16]

All content © 2012 Pete McGregor

No comments: