17 September 2016

Some rabbits still live

Those of you who understood what the man must have felt at the conclusion of Suppositions about a man and his rabbits will be pleased to know at least some rabbits survived (well, at least this one, and possibly all — I've since seen two simultaneously).

This seems to be another Spock rabbit, and although its ears aren't kinked, I wonder whether that distinctive dark nose is a permanent feature or whether it's just wet from feeding after the rain? The former, I hope: I'd like to be able to identify it beyond doubt.

They're survivors, these rabbits.

[1/100 sec at f4, ISO 250]



All content © 2016 Pete McGregor

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Excellent! And now you need to defend them through the spring......

Relatively Retiring said...

Great news. You'll probably soon have lots more to get to know.

Zhoen said...

Funny how durable the apparently fragile can be.

Barbara Butler McCoy said...

Welcome news! I was too tongue-tied to reply before, but I have indeed felt for the narrator. In my urban life there aren't many 'wild' animals (of the furred variety, that is) but dare I suppose the narrator might understand how I feel to see swaths of trees bulldozed into matchsticks?

pohanginapete said...

Lisa, that might be difficult, I'm afraid. The owner of the vege garden might not look kindly on having his seedlings eaten :-(

RR, I hope you're right :-)

Zhoen, that's true, and even if the individuals are fragile, populations can be amazingly resilient.

Barbara, I have no doubt he understands all too well what it's like to see destruction like that, and he sends his condolences.