02 October 2016

Yellowhammer in kanuka

The introduced finches, like this male yellowhammer, are larger than Aotearoa's tiniest birds like the riroriro (grey warbler), but I find them at least as difficult to photograph. Riroriro seldom pause and usually flit about among a tangle of fine branches that makes focusing a nightmare, but at least it's often possible to get close to them while they forage. Getting close to a yellowhammer, on the other hand is inordinately difficult, so I usually need to crop the photograph heavily, as I did with this one.

[1/2000 sec at f4, ISO 250]



All content © 2016 Pete McGregor

2 comments:

Zhoen said...

I think you've found the one bird that doesn't particularly like you. Never thought I'd see it. Clearly doesn't have the warm curiosity of any of your other bird photos. Technically fine, but, yeah.

pohanginapete said...

Zhoen, yeah, they're jumpy little birds. I've never been able to get close.